The Story of Seminary Baptist Church
On December 3, 1886, six people brought letters of dismissal from other churches, drew up a church covenant, adopted articles of faith and established Concord Baptist Church (later called Seminary Baptist Church). These charter members were John, Mahala, and Katherine Pickering; John and Sarah Graham; and H.R. Curtis. The first pastor to serve the church was Rev. J. L. Finely, with services being held in a school building.
In 1888, the first church building was erected. G. A. Leggett, who helped with the construction, described it as a small frame building approximately sixteen by thirty feet. Seating for the congregation was handhewn benches. The church was located about three miles east of Seminary.
The church remained at the location for approximately ten years, moving in 1897 to the town of Seminary where more of its 69 members lived. During the same year the Sunday School was organized.
The church building was destroyed by fire on September 22, 1913, most of the pews were saved, but the church organ burned. Witnesses reported that the church bell rang during the burning due to the wind and the heat.
After the destruction of the building, a committee composed of W.L. Hemeter, Dr. H.L. Garrison, J.C. McGowen, Alex Lott, and G.S. Hemeter was authorized to initiate the construction of a new building. In the interim, services were held in the local schoolhouse.
The fourth church building was erected on the present site after the land was donated by Mr. & Mrs. Alex Lott. February 8, 1914 marked the first service in the new building.
Seminary Baptist Church has been served by 37 pastors. Currently, Seminary Baptist Church is enjoying God's blessings and working to fulfill the Acts 1:8 mandate of sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ to the Seminary Community and beyond.
Seminary Baptist Church Today
Seminary Baptist Church is a fellowship of believers in Christ Jesus who believe that it is our responsibility to make disciples of all the world, just as Christ commanded in Matthew 28:19-20. The manner to accomplish this is by loving God first and foremost, and then by loving people, as Christ has loved us.
Our Mission states: Here at Seminary Baptist Church we are a Family of Believers who are Real People, Loving Others, Sharing Jesus, Building God's Kingdom. This mission statement drives us to be authentic in our relationship to Christ and to everyone we come in contact with each day.
We function as the body of Christ, realizing that every member is a vital part of the body. Although we are many members, we are fitted together by God and empowered by His Holy Spirit to accomplish the task of making disciples of all nations.
Seminary Baptist Church is a self-governing body that is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, the Mississippi Baptist Convention Board, and the Covington/Jeff Davis Baptist Association.
We invite you to visit with us as we gather each week to worship our Lord in Spirit and in Truth.